Saturday, May 17, 2014

Regional PDO and Getting Ready to Go!

God, it feels like a year ago when I got the notification that I was going to be spending my junior year in Indonesia.

I still have so much to do, and so much to learn, but I thought I'd give an update on how things are going!

Last night I left my home at 2:00 A.M. to take the 3 1/2 hour drive to Raleigh, NC where my Regional PDO was taking place. With only a few hours of sleep I arrived on the campus of a university where my orientation was taking place. There were only a few students there who were going abroad, but luckily there were also a lot of current exchange students to talk to (we'll get to them later).

"Costa Rica."

"China."

"Argentina."

"Norway."

"Japan."

"India."

The list went on as people named interesting and popular destinations. Each place seemed a little special to the person saying it. It seemed that each student received a smile of glee or awe as they named the country and their duration. When I stood up and said "Indonesia, for a year," the reaction was a bit different. People seemed to know so little about it, or just found it an odd place to choose to go.

When we had a one-on-one group talk with returnees and students getting ready to go abroad, the students' reactions were much better. When I repeated my country, I heard a couple of "Wow's" and "That's so cool." That made me happier and more relaxed. We talked about many different topics ranging from host families to support, and got a little insight to what it would be like as an American exchange student.

After that session we joined students who were in America and would be returning home soon. It was interesting to see their perspective of the U.S. and how different or similar things were for them. Unfortunately, Indonesia was not represented today by any returnees/current exchange students. But I was still glad I went. It was fun and informative.

Now onto the nitty-gritty. I've still gotten none of my immunizations, but I have gotten my passport. I've also been trying super hard to figure out what's going to go on with the credits, but that really can't be determined until I have a host school.

I've practiced my Bahasa Indonesia a bit, but I am procrastinating with all the exams and state tests I have coming up. Still, I've made time to make flashcards and practice when I have nothing to do.

I've also had some time to visit NYC. That was great! It not only helped me get used to those awkward "I-don't-know-where-I-am-but-I'm-trying-to-navigate-this-big-city" moments, but also helped me realize that seeing the world is not only in another country but also in your backyard! Everyday I now I take the time to appreciate something about my hometown or my city or my state, trying to take on the perspective of someone who's never been. You'll be surprised at all the things you'll see or amazing things you'll experience by stepping out and trying.

Overall, it's been a pretty laid-back month getting ready for exchange. I feel the next couple of months will be busier with a lot more to update about. But for now, that's all that's been going on with me!

Until next time,

Baillie.

Selamat tingaal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment